[Gambas-devel] Activating a Welsh translation on SuSE 8.2

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Mon Jan 5 01:11:26 CET 2004

On Sunday 04 January 2004 19:38, Kevin Donnelly wrote:
> On Sunday 04 January 2004 3:56 pm, Benoit Minisini wrote:
> > First you must give me:
> > - The translation code (for example, fr_FR for French in France, fr_CA
> > for French in Canada, ...)
> > - The name of the language (OK, it's welsh)
> > - The name of the country (United Kingdom ?)
>
> cy_GB
> Welsh (Cymraeg)
> United Kingdom

OK

> > Then you will open the gambas IDE project, which is located in the source
> > package at $PACKAGE_DIR/gambas-X.YY/app/gambas, $PACKAGE_DIR being the
> > directory where you uncompressed the source archive.
> > Then you will hit CTRL+T to open the translation dialog, and select the
> > language you want to translate the project into... Here, you can follow
> > the Translation HowTo page.
>
> OK - I've found this now; thanks.  However, I was just translating the .po
> file directly using KBabel, so this additional functionality in Gambas
> doesn't really apply here.

You should translate directly from the IDE, otherwise things may not work.

> > But for the Welsh language, you need to add the language to the
> > collection defined in the module Language.module. You can do it in the
> > IDE, and then recompile itself. If you don't see what I mean, you must
> > wait the next version (0.81)
>
> OK - I did this by adding:
> Name["cy"] = ("Welsh (United Kingdom)")
> to Language.module, and then chose Project ->Compile all (which didn't seem
> to do much).  I then ran:
> ./reconf
> ./configure
> make
> (su) make install
>
> However, I still get the message about internationalisation being disabled

This message is normal on Linux, as the internationalization is part of the
standard glibc !

> in the configure, and the only language showing is English, even though my
> machine is set to cy_GB.  Where are the language files normally installed
> after compilation?

To test your translation, do the following in the gambas IDE source directory.

[~/gambas-0.80/app/gambas]$ LANGUAGE=cy LANG=cy gbx

The environment variable $LANGUAGE contains a colon separated list of
preferred languages, and $LANG the current language. $LANG must be a member
of $LANGUAGE, so you must set the two to get the translation.

> Also, I've noticed that after this second compile, a number of new .pot
> files (eg FToolBox.pot) have appeared in gambas-0.80/app/gambas/.lang - do
> these have to be translated as well???

Don't touch them. Use the IDE to do the translation !

> Thanks

mailto:gambas at ...1...