[Gambas-devel] Good luck Gambas 1.0

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Thu Aug 12 23:36:38 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 11 August 2004 07:20, Yizhou He wrote:
> Dear Mr.Benoit Minisini:
> Is there any reason to release a 1.0 the earlier as possible.

Here are the reasons I  don't want to add such many features just now:

- I want Gambas to be included as soon as possible in a distribution. IMHO,
all the important features are there, especially the packager wizard. But
this wizard is useless if Gambas is not included in the distribution. So I
must break this nasty circle.

- As Fabien explained, the IDE is a Gambas project, so some features can miss
at the release, as they will be able to be added in a next version easily.
The more important is the stability of the interpreter and the language.

- In September, I go back to acting courts, so I will add very few time.

> I thought
> you don't have to catch time for the stock or market. I have problem to
> tracking error using debug, first many step is ok, but after step in 10
> or 15 steps, the varible value become error message. I don't think it
> is a good idea to release 1.0 without slove the problem.

Are you sure to find a bug ? If the debugger show "*ERROR*" while displaying a
variable value, it's because the variable is out of scope.

> In my mind, 1.0 may not necessary to be fancy, may not very convenient,
> may not very powerful, but all function listed should be usable,
> stable, user friendly.

I agree. So I don't want to include important features in the IDE just now,
like your (very good) ideas or the pretty printer. For example, the file
browser and the find list were included months ago, and there are still
problems with them, because these problems are often hard to notice and fix.

> Many people may use gambas for the first time, may just because they
> read a news article about gambas 1.0 released and download for a trial.

I will add in the next version the possibility to go to the definition of a
symbol just by pressing F2, and to go back with SHIFT-F2.

The only thing I wanted to add before the 1.0 is a version number in the
component files, so that old gambas project could choose the right version of
the component they need.

Just after the first release candidate is released, I will create a
development branch in the sources, and will include your modifications and
the pretty printer.

mailto:gambas at ...1...