[Gambas-devel] Good luck Gambas 1.0

Bodard Fabien gambasfr at ...4...
Wed Aug 11 12:06:34 CEST 2004

Le mercredi 11 Août 2004 07:20, Yizhou He a écrit :
> Dear Mr.Benoit Minisini:
> > This will not be done immediately, because this imply a lot of
> > change in the
> > editor. But this could be done in a pretty-printer integrated into
> > the
> > compiler.
>
> I really think so called pretty-printer is a good stuff, recommend
> include in 1.0
>
> > > This will be very useful while many developer working on one project
> > > and writing components, control, libs, developer don't have to
> >
> > search> document for how to use the function,sub,
> >
> > I will do that in a next version.
> >
> > As a workaround, if I open the help on the Split() page if I press
> > F2 while
> > the cursor in on the Split instruction, will you be happy ?
>
> I don't think let developer press F2 is a good idea. It involves extra
> button press and opens another window, load help opener program
> (typically as slow as web browser or it is web browser). More
> importantly, my solution allow user add memo to the function (or class
> or component) they wrote easily. No need to write separate help file
> (he may just need this information for develop the program, he don't
> want to show it to the user of his program)
>
> > > 3. Treeview control should add a memo or tip function so that when
> > > mouse move over a node will display a help or memo information for
> > > different node. The memo information should be input in
> >
> > "treeview.add"> method.
> >
> > I don't know if it is possible with QT. But you can do it by hand
> > by tracking
> > the mouse and changing the global treeview tooltip each time the
> > mouse enter
> > a node. To find a node from the mouse coordinates, there is the
> > TreeView.Find() method.
>
> Whatever method can be used, it should be packed into the control. The
> reason we need control is to make develop easier.
>
> > > 4. Fproperty form should add a text control to display the memo
> >
> > about> the selected property
> >
> > I will do that in a next version.
>
> I know what I asked for involve a lot of work and typing. if it is
> something that can copy and paste from menu, you can distribute the
> work to different developer in developer mail list. Different people
> work for different part and you go over it and make it looks uniform.
>
> > > The memo means tips help information, comments, anything can help
> > > developer or user to use Gambas and it's application.
> > >
> > > Do I ask for too much?
> >
> > No, but I want to release a 1.0 the earlier as possible, and put
> > such
> > development in next releases.
>
> Is there any reason to release a 1.0 the earlier as possible. I thought
> you don't have to catch time for the stock or market. I have problem to
> tracking error using debug, first many step is ok, but after step in 10
> or 15 steps, the varible value become error message. I don't think it
> is a good idea to release 1.0 without slove the problem.

Hi, Mr Yizhou He,

You make a good job in the ide. But i think you must to understand that. When
Benoit, say he want to finish the 1.0 before, he talk about the gambas
language. In fact the language can be in stable version and the ide in beta
version, i think it's not really a problem. And it's the same about the
components these are not part of gambas language but just addons.

So, if for exemple there is some bug in the gb.qt or gb.net when the 1.0 is
released, it's not really important. The more important for Benoit, i think
is to have zero bug in the gambas internal classes, nor in the interpreter,
neither in the compiler...

In summary, with the gambas 1.0, you can have bug :
  - in the Ide
  - in the components (as less as possible)
  - in your own program !

But not in the language !

OUps, i'm repeating the same thing three time no ?

The more important job on the IDE is planed for after the 1.0 version.

If i remember all, We talk about a near complete redesign of the ide, about
add a report designer, and many other little interesting thing that i've
writed somewhere but i don't remember where...

So, get ready, there is many job, but after the 1.0 gambas version... And your
ideas will be welcome !

good holliday ;-)

Fabien Bodard

(hum sorry Benoit... mabe i've act at a bad time ? But i think this
explanation about the diferent parts of gambas is important for all users.
If i've say something bad... shoot me !(<fr>frapper... hum type ?</fr>)
)