[Gambas-devel] Good luck Gambas 1.0

Yizhou He yizhou_he at ...143...
Wed Aug 11 07:20:01 CEST 2004

Dear Mr.Benoit Minisini:

> This will not be done immediately, because this imply a lot of
> change in the
> editor. But this could be done in a pretty-printer integrated into
> the
> compiler.

I really think so called pretty-printer is a good stuff, recommend
include in 1.0

> > This will be very useful while many developer working on one project
> > and writing components, control, libs, developer don't have to
> search> document for how to use the function,sub,
>
> I will do that in a next version.
>
> As a workaround, if I open the help on the Split() page if I press
> F2 while
> the cursor in on the Split instruction, will you be happy ?

I don't think let developer press F2 is a good idea. It involves extra
button press and opens another window, load help opener program
(typically as slow as web browser or it is web browser). More
importantly, my solution allow user add memo to the function (or class
or component) they wrote easily. No need to write separate help file
(he may just need this information for develop the program, he don't
want to show it to the user of his program)

> > 3. Treeview control should add a memo or tip function so that when
> > mouse move over a node will display a help or memo information for
> > different node. The memo information should be input in
> "treeview.add"> method.
>
> I don't know if it is possible with QT. But you can do it by hand
> by tracking
> the mouse and changing the global treeview tooltip each time the
> mouse enter
> a node. To find a node from the mouse coordinates, there is the
> TreeView.Find() method.

Whatever method can be used, it should be packed into the control. The
reason we need control is to make develop easier.

> > 4. Fproperty form should add a text control to display the memo
> about> the selected property
>
> I will do that in a next version.

I know what I asked for involve a lot of work and typing. if it is
something that can copy and paste from menu, you can distribute the
work to different developer in developer mail list. Different people
work for different part and you go over it and make it looks uniform.

> > The memo means tips help information, comments, anything can help
> > developer or user to use Gambas and it's application.
> >
> > Do I ask for too much?
>
> No, but I want to release a 1.0 the earlier as possible, and put
> such
> development in next releases.

Is there any reason to release a 1.0 the earlier as possible. I thought
you don't have to catch time for the stock or market. I have problem to
tracking error using debug, first many step is ok, but after step in 10
or 15 steps, the varible value become error message. I don't think it
is a good idea to release 1.0 without slove the problem.

In my mind, 1.0 may not necessary to be fancy, may not very convenient,
may not very powerful, but all function listed should be usable,
stable, user friendly.

Many people may use gambas for the first time, may just because they
read a news article about gambas 1.0 released and download for a trial.

Unable (don't know where) to download a copy of linux and install it
will kill one third of the people (I suggest put a link about how to
download a recommend version of linux on website right after the link
about where to download Gambas).

Problem with redhat 9.0 will kill one third of the rest(recommend
detect redhat9.0 and fix the problem automatically or provide download
for redhat9.0).

User friendly design may make them learn the difference between VB and
GB quickly. After try and learn something quickly allow him write first
simple program on linux will make he feel like he is powerful with
linux too. Requirement of reading long and boring manual about the
difference between VB and GB, and searching the menu to find out how to
use one function will kill two third of the rest.

program bug, crash, errors that user can not understand will kill 90%
of the rest, 10% of the rest who really like gambas or program on linux
will send bug report or join the develop mail list.

My English is not good; I can not understand the feeling beside or
inside the words. If any words make you feel uncomfortable. I apologize
for that. I don't want to criticize Gamebas, I just want it better and
sucess.

Before put release 1.0 on website, can you send it to translators
first, after get it translated, put on website. Otherwise, there always
some new function is not translated.

Best regards

Yizhou He
Research Technician (Xiong Lab)