[Gambas-devel] Component Miscellaneous

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...19...
Mon Sep 29 01:30:01 CEST 2003

On Sunday 28 September 2003 14:00, daniel wrote:
> Just the only pending thing about this interesting
> conversation:
> - What would be a base distribution for Gambas?

This is a decision that all languages of this type have to make,
and it's an ongoing decision process as new components get
written and apps using them become popular.

>  One of the problems I find each time I try to install a Gnome
> program, is that may be it depends on gnome-xxx which also
> depends on gnome-yyyy which also can not be installed unless
> you install gnome-zzzz, and so on, and finally some people
> abandon their efforts when they've downloaded 10 or more
> pieces of code (using a 56k modem)...

This is what I was thinking about, and in particular I used to
have a lot of trouble with programs that needed SDL (this is a
few years ago and there are no troubles like that anymore, but
it got me thinking.)

>  To have separate packages is a good idea for beta components,
> or components that uses very specific stuff, but for
> general-pourpose components (for example, my networking
> component just calls glibc), I don't see any reason to
> distribute it as a separate complement.

I agree that anything requiring no more than the compiler,
interpreter and the IDE already require should certainly be part
of the core package.  This means at very least the qt, qt.ext
and qt.editor components, plus your network component.  I've
been packaging mysql and postgres support as well, to date,
though it seems to me I haven't ever tested it with postgres so
I don't know whether it actually works using my package. :)  But
there will be more components in the future, and I think it's
important that we address the kitchen sink problem before
someone accuses us of being as bloated as an entire desktop
environment like GNOME ;)

Rob