[Gambas-devel] Component Miscellaneous

daniel danielcampos at ...47...
Sun Sep 28 20:00:17 CEST 2003

Just the only pending thing about this interesting conversation:

- What would be a base distribution for Gambas?

 Of course anyboby could distribute Gambas compiler-interpreter, then
gambas-sdl, then gambas-mysql, etc, but I think it's better to have a
big...well, not big, just medium package with all common stuff
(databases, network, may be multimedia ), so the user has not to care
about multiple packages and dependencies, just download a binary for
your distribution and you'll have a powerful environment available
to create/execute programs.

 One of the problems I find each time I try to install a Gnome program,
is that may be it depends on gnome-xxx which also depends on
gnome-yyyy which also can not be installed unless you install
gnome-zzzz, and so on, and finally some people abandon their efforts
when they've downloaded 10 or more pieces of code (using a 56k modem)...

 To have separate packages is a good idea for beta components, or
components that uses very specific stuff, but for general-pourpose
components (for example, my networking component just calls glibc),
I don't see any reason to distribute it as a separate complement.

Regards,

Daniel Campos