[Gambas-devel] Component Miscellaneous

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...19...
Sun Sep 28 17:29:14 CEST 2003

On Sunday 28 September 2003 05:47, daniel wrote:
> First : an stable version, then, packages, we're are not (yet)
> a thousand programmers at full-time, paid by Bill (Gates). I

Oh, there are gambas packages available now, at least my packages
for Mandrake for the last 6 months ;)  I just wanted to make
sure I could distribute a "gambas" package and then
"gambas-mysql", "gambas-postgres", "gambas-SDL" etc.... the way
it works in other languages like perl.  I probably won't get to
breaking components into separate packages for 0.70 though.

> Of course, compile it in a computer with Gambas source (it is
> like having Visual Basic installed in a computer, but more
> cheap :), and you'll have a library and two additional files :
> "*.component" and ".info", that, if you want to compare it
> with VB, are like register files that you have to place in
> your filesystem, instead of windows registry, and any binary
> installer can do that.

Thanks, that was all I needed to know.  Sounds like I might be
able to do it all with one spec file.  (The idea of a Gambas
installer tool is nice for operating systems with no packaging
system, like, say, Slackware prior to 9.1, but it's not cool to
install stuff outside the packaging system on machines where
there is one...)

Rob