[Gambas-devel] Component Miscellaneous

daniel danielcampos at ...47...
Sun Sep 28 11:47:58 CEST 2003

> If you include an SDL component in the base Gambas package, then
> for the 90% of the people out there who will be just installing
> Gambas out of a binary package to run some app, they will need
> to have SDL installed.  People installing my Mandrake binary
> packages of Gambas need mysql and postgres both installed.  To
> the bulk of Gambas' audience (ex-Windows people) there is no
> such thing as "compiling a program", so Gambas requires whatever
> was installed on the person's machine who built it, and if
> something wasn't installed, Gambas (as experienced by the end
> user) does not support that feature.

 I can't find any problem in that: if you want to install a Visual Basic
program that uses some usual code like database access, you have to
install dcom95 or dcom98 on some windows systems that doesn't have it
by default, you have to update mdac default version by mdac2.5 or
mdac2.6 or mdac2.7, depending on your program, even if you want to
install Visual Basic itself, installation will "upgrade" your system
installing Internet Explorer and other stuff. The only difference is
that Gambas is still Alpha code, and there are not beautiful installers
ready to do all for you... be patient, first versions of Kdevelop, by
instance, were a hell to simply install documentation, now you can
install Mandrake, SUSE or any other distribution, and if you select
that package, you'll have all working by clicking two buttons...

> I know a lot of you guys on the list are tarball bigots, but here
> you are on a list making it easier for Windows/VB programmers to
> develop Linux apps, so you have to understand that ultimately
> most end users are not going to be compiling Gambas or Gambas
> apps from source. :)

First : an stable version, then, packages, we're are not (yet) a
thousand programmers at full-time, paid by Bill (Gates). I don't
like to compile all that I want to install in my computer, and in fact,
i've never compiled KDE or OpenOffice, but there was a time in which
there was not any binary distribution of these programs!

BTW : this is a good idea : somebody wants to work creating a standard
installer for Gambas apps? as Gambas run on a "virtual machine" it
is independient from Linux version and we could be not limited to
rpm or deb...

> >  Distributing binaries packages is also possible, as
> > components are libraries, but it has the same problem as other
> > binary distributions: differences between gcc versions, c++
> > link issues,etc
>
> Well, if you build an RPM of something, and it's installed on a
> copy of your operating system where the user never knew enough
> to build a new copy of gcc from source (outside the RPM system),
> etc, you'll simply never run into those problems.  Same for
> Debian packages.  Distributions like Lindows and Xandros don't
> even ship a compiler...
>
> So, back to my original question.  Are gambas components like
> shared libraries/OCX's (drop them in a directory, do the
> equivalent of ldconfig/regsvr32 and gambas makes use of them) or
> does the whole source tree need to be recompiled if you just
> want to add a component?

Of course, compile it in a computer with Gambas source (it is like
having Visual Basic installed in a computer, but more cheap :),
and you'll have a library and two additional files : "*.component"
and ".info", that, if you want to compare it with VB, are like
register files that you have to place in your filesystem, instead of
windows registry, and any binary installer can do that.

Regards,

Daniel Campos