[Gambas-devel] Component Miscellaneous

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...19...
Sun Sep 28 01:22:51 CEST 2003

On Saturday 27 September 2003 13:03, daniel wrote:
> > I was just thinking, once there's an SDL component,
> > including it in the base Gambas package means Gambas then
> > requires SDL,
>
> Well, Gambas does not need SDL, you have options in
> "configure" script to disable SDL, or any other component
> dependences, for example, when I compile Gambas, i use
> --disable-mysql-driver and --disable-pgsql-driver as I do not
> have that devel libraries installed.

Let me rephrase that.

If you include an SDL component in the base Gambas package, then
for the 90% of the people out there who will be just installing
Gambas out of a binary package to run some app, they will need
to have SDL installed.  People installing my Mandrake binary
packages of Gambas need mysql and postgres both installed.  To
the bulk of Gambas' audience (ex-Windows people) there is no
such thing as "compiling a program", so Gambas requires whatever
was installed on the person's machine who built it, and if
something wasn't installed, Gambas (as experienced by the end
user) does not support that feature.

I know a lot of you guys on the list are tarball bigots, but here
you are on a list making it easier for Windows/VB programmers to
develop Linux apps, so you have to understand that ultimately
most end users are not going to be compiling Gambas or Gambas
apps from source. :)

>  Distributing binaries packages is also possible, as
> components are libraries, but it has the same problem as other
> binary distributions: differences between gcc versions, c++
> link issues,etc

Well, if you build an RPM of something, and it's installed on a
copy of your operating system where the user never knew enough
to build a new copy of gcc from source (outside the RPM system),
etc, you'll simply never run into those problems.  Same for
Debian packages.  Distributions like Lindows and Xandros don't
even ship a compiler...

So, back to my original question.  Are gambas components like
shared libraries/OCX's (drop them in a directory, do the
equivalent of ldconfig/regsvr32 and gambas makes use of them) or
does the whole source tree need to be recompiled if you just
want to add a component?

Rob