[Gambas-devel] Component Miscellaneous

daniel danielcampos at ...47...
Sat Sep 27 19:03:19 CEST 2003

El s?, 27-09-2003 a las 16:44, Rob escribió:
> On Saturday 27 September 2003 09:13, Benoit Minisini wrote:
> > Then I will put the sources in a CVS. All components will be
> > part of the source tree, or can be distributed separately as
> > Daniel Campos does when the component is in beta version.
>
> Is it possible to distribute components in precompiled form
> without needing to build a new Gambas compiler/interpreter?  I
> was just thinking, once there's an SDL component, including it
> in the base Gambas package means Gambas then requires SDL,

Well, Gambas does not need SDL, you have options in "configure"
script to disable SDL, or any other component dependences, for example,
when I compile Gambas, i use --disable-mysql-driver and
--disable-pgsql-driver as I do not have that devel libraries installed.

> whereas there might be a way to make a "gambas-SDL" package as
> long as gambas doesn't need to be rebuilt for new components.

I suppose when there's a stable API there will be two kind of
packages:

- Gambas package
- Gambas-devel package with headers to compile "non-official"
components.

 Distributing binaries packages is also possible, as components
are libraries, but it has the same problem as other binary
distributions: differences between gcc versions, c++ link issues,etc