[Gambas-devel] component docs

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...20...
Tue Jun 10 22:08:58 CEST 2003

Le Mardi 10 Juin 2003 16:48, Ken Schrock a écrit :
> Fabien wrote:
> >For the doc ... where you'll be ready, make it !
> >
> >Good idea no ?, There isn't lot of person who actually work on component
> >creating...
> >
> >humm ... for sûre... benoit... Nigel... me a little bit... you...
>
> I disagree, this is really clean and simple kind of interface
> A simple way to extend a language, I think it will be used a LOT

In fact, at least at the beginning of birth of Gambas ;-), I want all the
components to be included in the source package of Gambas, exactly like
device drivers are included in the source package of Linux.

Four reasons for that:

1) Components are for the gambas interpreter what device driver are for the
Linux kernel.

2) Components are not just trivial interface to their underlying libraries.
They must bring a easy and common interface to the gambas user. For example,
the qt component interface is not just a bunch wrapper to qt api, it brings a
interface that hides QT stuff and that is enough thought (I hope) to be used
as is with a future gtk+ component. So I want to keep my eyes on what is done
with components.

3) The interface between components and the interpreter is not completely
stable, and might change without any notice.

4) Free software must be provided with its sources. By keeping component
sources into the gambas source package, this requirement is respected.

Of course, anybody can make components packages of its own, but this will be
limited. Think about the NVidia driver...

> You guys just need to find a simpler way to plug new ones into the IDE
> Needs to be more of a plug-in, drop one or more files in one place
> The icon for the toolbox, help, info, etc. should all go one place
> Would be really nice if it were all one big chunk, and why not?
> Why not use GB_INFO to fetch all these things for the IDE?

The way the IDE uses the component is badly designed. For example, GB_INFO is
a quick and dirty hack to bring information to the IDE.

I think I will reworked that as soon as possible, so that the IDE can manage,
for example, non-graphical components in a graphical way (I have very top
secret projects for that).

So your remarks are justified, but I must think a lot before finding a
pratical, easy, powerful, etc. way to manage components.

> The docs? Yes, I will write them...
> ... If I ever find all the info >:-}

mailto:gambas at ...1...