[Gambas-devel] Gambas Database Manager - Access Denied

Philip A. Chapman pchapman at ...33...
Fri Jun 6 16:05:19 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 15:17, Philip A. Chapman wrote:
> It would be nice for users to create small databases for personal user
> ala Microsoft Access.  However, I do not think that either PostgreSQL or
> MySQL was designed with this in mind.  Perhaps a search for a more
> suitable database engine would be in order.  I'll do some research and
> see if there are any good open source, single-user database engines that
> may fit this bill.

Everyone,

OK, I've done some research.  I've found a project called SQLLite that
may fit the bill.  http://www.hwaci.com/sw/sqlite/  I plan on playing
with it some this weekend to see how good/powerfull it is; but based on
the feature set, this could be what we are looking for in an embedded,
single-user database engine.  I would like to say that one of the main
advantages is that the complete database is stored in a single disk file
(like MS Access).  That would not be desirable for an enterprise level
database, but could work well for the backend of a stand-alone
application (which is what we were discussing here).  And the
documentation is in wiki!  (Big wink to those that have been discussing
and publishing documentation to a wiki site.)

I am not a master of the C programming language.  However, if there is
enough interest, I may be willing to work on a database component.  One
thing I _can_ do is read code and Benoit and others have already done
this for MySQL and Postgresql so.....

Thanks,
--
Philip A. Chapman

Application Development:
Java, Visual Basic (MCP), PostgreSQL, MySQL, MSSQL
Linux, Windows 9x, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP