[Gambas-bugtracker] Bug #2161: package specifications, little errors and lack of transitions or upgrades

bugtracker at gambaswiki.org bugtracker at gambaswiki.org
Tue Apr 13 21:06:03 CEST 2021

http://gambaswiki.org/bugtracker/edit?object=BUG.2161&from=L21haW4-

PICCORO LENZ MCKAY reported a new bug.

Summary
-------

package specifications, little errors and lack of transitions or upgrades

Type             : Bug
Priority         : High
Gambas version   : Master
Product          : Development Environment

Description
-----------

Hi benoit, is clear the packaging guidelines are abandoned, the constant changes and lack of stability in defining something stable allowed debian to have a bad track record in updates, apart from that packaging it for other distro's is a real pain.

For example, trying to package for alpine I realize that some things are inconsistent, I repeat: There seems to be some misunderstood wording on the wiki page which is based on many conflicts not only in debian, also for all packagers; this looks like a slightly made up document without testing according to http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/howto/package that page its rules are correct and up to date ?

AS A SMALL EXAMPLE: Well, as I understand it, in the dependencies table, I only see that the wiki says that Gambas3/ide depends on Gambas3/form and that (gambas3-gb-form in some ppa and other distros) does not depend on any of the GUI variant components, either QT 4/5 or GTK 2/3, while in debian this is corrected

as a result of this problem. many packagers make their own dependencies on packages! as a result! the biggest example is the horrendous ppa that many debian mixes (cos normal winbuntu it rely on debian packaging) and some people's winbuntu starts having conflicts when generating applications.

So either I can't quite understand the dependency sheet or it looks like something that was modified by a little kid! at http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/howto/package#t9 board

the worst case is the runtime package, it says it must contain the gui and gui-qt component that allows to detect which graphic components and choose the available one, in debian packagers make a good transition from gambas-gui to gambas-runtime and the upgrades do not fail, but I saw that the ppa are a disaster, there is no transition from gambas-gui (missing) to gambas-runtime, debian mint bases its packages from here breaking many of the installations for users who do not know that these are badly done...

in short the specification does not define migrations in the packaging which is very bad, something that debian maintainers seem to do very well.

System information
------------------

[System]
Gambas=3.15.90
OperatingSystem=Linux
Kernel=4.9.0-0.bpo.2-686-pae
Architecture=x86
Distribution=devuan 8
Desktop=JWM
Theme=QT4
Language=en_US.UTF-8
Memory=16184M

[Libraries]
Cairo=libcairo.so.2.11400.0
Curl=libcurl.so.4.3.0
DBus=libdbus-1.so.3.8.14
GStreamer=libgstreamer-0.10.so.0.30.0
GStreamer=libgstreamer-1.0.so.0.404.0
GTK+2=libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.2400.25
GTK+3=libgtk-3.so.0.1400.5
OpenGL=libGL.so.1.2.0
Poppler=libpoppler.so.46.0.0
QT4=libQtCore.so.4.8.6
QT5=libQt5Core.so.5.3.2
SDL=libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.4
SQLite=libsqlite3.so.0.8.6

[Environment]
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-xCGlY6Cqx0,guid=0bdc669303b46b83d2b4a98d59b9f71b
DESKTOP_SESSION=mate
DISPLAY=:0.0
GB_GUI=gb.qt4
GDMSESSION=mlde
GDM_LANG=es_VE.utf8
GIO_LAUNCHED_DESKTOP_FILE=/usr/share/applications/gambas3.desktop
GIO_LAUNCHED_DESKTOP_FILE_PID=7363
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/run/user/1000/keyring/gpg:0:1
HOME=<home>
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=es_VE:es:en_US
LOGNAME=<user>
MATE_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=this-is-deprecated
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
PWD=<home>
SESSION_MANAGER=local/<hostname>:@/tmp/.ICE-unix/1521,unix/<hostname>:/tmp/.ICE-unix/1521
SHELL=/bin/bash
SSH_AGENT_PID=1550
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/run/user/1000/keyring/ssh
TZ=:/etc/localtime
USER=<user>
XAUTHORITY=<home>/.Xauthority
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=MLDE
XDG_GREETER_DATA_DIR=/var/lib/lightdm/data/<user>
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000
XDG_SEAT=seat0
XDG_SEAT_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
XDG_SESSION_ID=1
XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session0
XDG_VTNR=7