Re: Unittesting Gambas – Was: Problem "Stable" is not stable

> As for the unit testing, I'm afraid I dont understand it, nor its purpose.
> I have always thought it was to prevent regression errors?

Technical definitions... If I update my Gambas installation and old things
do not work anymore, then it is a regression bug. Isn't that exactly what
we are dealing with?
Unit test is the first line defense against bugs being published. Ideally
unit tests confirm that changes or new code does what it is supposed to do.
However, for new code the writing should be started from implementing unit
tests for the designed behaviour. Which is not a bad idea at all.

On one hand, if that is true then have there been any stats done on the
> occurrence of such errors in Gambas?

When I actively worked with the unit test, it caught many bugs... I would
guess more than 50.

> "let's see how I can break this" rather than "lets prove it works now".

Both approaches should be used when writing unit tests.

Jussi