Re: Unittesting Gambas – Was: Problem "Stable" is not stable

On Fri, 30 Aug 2024 at 00:43, Jussi Lahtinen <jussi.lahtinen@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> > No, they actually were new bugs until I reported them and they got
>> > fixed. Just look how many times I reported a bug using GambasTester.
>> > Ideally unit tests would test all possible features with all possible
>> >  ways and thus it would catch all possible bugs in future. Understand
>> > now? The tests are just not very easy to write. You need to think
>> > about how to potentially break things.
>>
>> I am not the guy who is able to do this. Do you still write these sort
>> of tests?
>>

> Not for a long time and never for Gambas GUI parts. I don't even know what
> kind of stability problems people have with Gambas now. Just assuming they
> are real.
> Personally I do not even remember when was the last time I saw something
> go broken. Currently I use more C, but I use some tools written in Gambas
> daily without any problems.
> But then again, I do not update very often these days.
>
> Anyway, if we want to lessen the testing burden from the users, then unit
> tests need more work. I don't see any other way. Maybe what you suggested
> would help, but I wonder how many would install the "testing" version among
> "stable", "testing" and "development". IE would the testing version then
> really be well tested..? In fact I don't quite see why PPA even has a
> development version, if not for testing. If you really want to develop
> something, you need to compile things anyway.
>
> Btw, there really isn't much in the bug tracker either. Are the issues not
> being reported..? Or what really is the issue here?
>

> Jussi

I think the issues are few.  it's stemmed from a discussion on the German
forum where it's been suggested that calling a version x.x.0 release stable
when it's not usually really stable till a revision or 2 later when
unforseen bugs appear is misleading.

So it's not about a particular bug more about stable not being stable.

I personally feel the only real (and easiest) solution here was the comment
about Benoit taking a bit longer after announcing a new stable version to
be tested to it's actual release time. To allow a bit longer for people to
test it and report those pesky bugs.

But that's only my opinion on the subject, my experience is that I ride the
razors edge of dev branch , when i find bugs I report them and I either
attempt to fix them myself and submit the fix to gitlab or if it's beyond
me or i'm way off base Benoit finds the fix.  Either way the bugs get fixed
pretty fast.

Respects
BruceS