Re: cannot SkipTaskbar on this program with QT5

On Fri, 17 May 2024 at 15:48, Benoît Minisini <
benoit.minisini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le 17/05/2024 à 16:37, Benoît Minisini a écrit :
> > Le 12/05/2024 à 14:31, Bruce Steers a écrit :
> >>
> >> So is it a case of...
> >> If it works with KDE on Manjaro there is no problem?
> >> 🤔
> >>
> >> I have just found that if i add...
> >>    Me.SkipTaskbar = True
> >> to Form_Show() then it works as expected.
> >>
> >> Even though the IDE has the SkipTaskbar = True set and it's also set
> >> in Form_Open() it's failing with qt on MATE if i don't add it to
> >> Form_Show().
> >>
> >> Is there code like in gb.dbus.trayicon that uses only
> >> org.kde.StatusNotifierItem specific functions?
> >>   that looks to me like it's probably only really guaranteed to work
> >> on kde.
> >>
> >> Should we now say, for a bug free gambas environment you must use KDE
> >> (and Manjaro)
> >> (<-- holds up sarcasm sign)
> >>
> >> Respects
> >> BruceS
> >>

> > Apparently it's the weird things you are doing that makes the window
> > manager mad.
> >
> > Your startup class is a form that you hide when it is shown, by calling
> > the Hide() method in Form_Show(). If you remove that, the window does
> > not appear in the taskbar.
> >
> > The possible reason for this behaviour is that since Qt5, the window
> > properties must be defined after the window has been shown, otherwise it
> > does not work. As you hide the window during its show event, maybe it
> > creates a bad interference.
> >
> > I will check again if I can define the window X11 properties before
> > calling the Qt show method.
> >
> > Otherwise, why doing that? Why using an hidden window as startup form?
> > If you don't want it to be visible, don't define it as startup form so
> > that it is not automatically shown.
> >
> > Regards,

To be honest it was initially written some time ago and it's various
startup possibilities just ended up in what i have.
I can probably revisit the startup and make it better.
And as bizzare as the structure is it seemed to work. i only just noticed a
problem on mint/mate/qt.

Looking at it now I'm thinking,, why is my startup class even a Form? it
should probably just be a startup.module.

Note that I have just tested with Mint 21.3 + Mate in a VirtualBox vm.

> --
> Benoît Minisini.

I apologize for my sarcasm Ben, I hadn't had my morning coffee yet :-\
Thanks for looking
Wishing well
BruceS