Re: [Gambas-user] MUA "Reply" should not behave as "Reply List" (was Re: M/L replying to users email not the list)

Am 05.03.24 um 21:00 schrieb T Lee Davidson:

So now we add this header:

thanks to a proposal of D.J. Bernstein.

With that header a lot of MUAs like Thunderbird, Claws and others
reply to 'user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' when the user hits <Reply>.

And, that is what I, and the author of '"Reply-To" Munging Considered
Harmful', are saying should not be. So, if Gmail doesn't respect it
and it is not a solution for the Gmail web interface, why use it when
it makes "Reply" in the MUA behave as it should not?

This is an age-old discussion. And until I sent you the link, it didn't bother you that the mailing list here had been behaving like this for years. We did "Reply-To" Munging and it was very satisfying!

I have also participated in this discussion and I believe that someone who is part of a public mailing list must logically assume that a reply is public again.

Besides, in 20 years I have never seen anyone post anything private to a mailing list by mistake and I am in many lists.

I therefore consider this discussion to be academic.

Not so Gmail:

The poor guys at Gmail have to live with it that they cannot hit
'Reply' to answer to the list. Instead they have to choose 'Reply
to all' with which Gmail would send:

To: authors_email@domain CC: list@listserver

Then they have to delete 'authors_email@domain' from 'To:' and move
'list@listserver' to 'To:'.

I tried it out today at my Gmail account. No chance to make it
easier there.

What about the Mail-Followup-To header? I wonder if Gmail would
respect that in it's "Reply All" function.

Just read about it:

https://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html

As I understand it 'Mail-Followup-To' must be set by the MUA. But I am brain-dead now. ;-)

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--
Dies ist keine Signatur