[Gambas-user] Size of Window cannot be decreased when opened with ShowModal()

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 00:37:26 CET 2024

On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 at 21:25, Claus Dietrich <claus.dietrich at freenet.de>
wrote:

> Am 28.01.24 um 20:11 schrieb Bruce Steers:
> > But Gambas is NOT Microsoft visual basic clone.
> >
> > vb is vb.  it works how it works.
> > gambas is gambas.  it works how it works.
> >
> > I don't hink it's right to say the vb way correct and gambs in not
> > justified in how it works?
> >
> > If you want your gambas application to behave exactly the same as
> > microsoft basic then you should code it to do so.
> >
> > And like i explained you can set the minimum size for your modal
> > window in the IDE or when creating it then grow it when it opens.
> > then it CAN shrink.
> >
> > Respects
> > BruceS
>
> Nobody said that the VB-way is the right way. I just provided an
> information how it is done in Visual Basic and asked whether the modal
> mode of windows in Gambas is "normal". The suggested workaround was
> registered - thanks for that.
>
> I tried to find examples under Linux where the size of a modal window
> can be decreased, but I only found one so far in Thunderbird. The others
> could only be increased. So could this be something which has nothing to
> do with Gambas and is depending on the graphical framework or windows
> manager?
>
> Regards
>
> Claus

Sorry if i misinterpreted.

I think yes.
I think gambas gui just uses the underlying toolkit for window.class and
it's showmodal method.

I wish it didn't and did it's own version of showmodal as the toolkit way
does have various limitations as you have discovered.

But it is what it is,
we can work-around it depending on our individual needs.

I think the thunderbird shrinking modal window you found probably just uses
the same trick i mentioned and by default in linux a modal window can only
be grown not shrunk from it's initial size.

Respects

BruceS