[Gambas-user] Support for avif image format

T Lee Davidson t.lee.davidson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 16:08:00 CET 2024

On 1/24/24 00:16, Safiur Rahman wrote:
> Hi
>
> Requesting you for support for avif image format with gb.image component.
>
> --
> Regards
> Safiur Rahman

After a bit of research, it appears that AVIF support in gb.image/gb.image.io would be dependent upon whether or not the Linux
system's gdk-pixbuf has been compiled against libavif. In my system, it apparently is not:
gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders-64|grep '"gdk-pixbuf"'
"ani" 4 "gdk-pixbuf" "Windows animated cursor" "LGPL"
"bmp" 5 "gdk-pixbuf" "BMP" "LGPL"
"gif" 4 "gdk-pixbuf" "GIF" "LGPL"
"icns" 4 "gdk-pixbuf" "MacOS X icon" "GPL"
"ico" 5 "gdk-pixbuf" "Windows icon" "LGPL"
"pnm" 4 "gdk-pixbuf" "PNM/PBM/PGM/PPM" "LGPL"
"qtif" 4 "gdk-pixbuf" "QuickTime" "LGPL"
"svg" 6 "gdk-pixbuf" "Scalable Vector Graphics" "LGPL"
"tga" 4 "gdk-pixbuf" "Targa" "LGPL"
"tiff" 5 "gdk-pixbuf" "TIFF" "LGPL"
"xbm" 4 "gdk-pixbuf" "XBM" "LGPL"
"xpm" 4 "gdk-pixbuf" "XPM" "LGPL"

However, according to https://github.com/mono/gtk-sharp/issues/304, there may be an alternative solution:
"Just run apt install libavif-gdk-pixbuf in Ubuntu"

On my openSUSE system, the package appears to be gdk-pixbuf-loader-libavif.

--
Lee