[Gambas-user] Happy new year 2024!

Benoît Minisini benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org
Fri Jan 5 13:53:31 CET 2024

Le 05/01/2024 à 13:16, Admin a écrit :
> 05.01.2024 18:46, Benoît Minisini пишет:
>> Le 05/01/2024 à 05:19, Admin a écrit :
>>> The only problem left is that with every new FreeBSD router installed
>>> I have to compile Gambas on it and pray every time that it succeeds.
>>> Frequently It does not, so I "dance with a ritual drum" to make it
>>> bloody work, but when I finally compile the damn thing, no more work
>>> for me, the other guys will take it from here. Imagine if Gambas was
>>> just a binary package in a FreeBSD repository. I would save probably
>>> a week of personal time annually.
>>>

>> Did you report when you had a problem when compiling with FreeBSD? Did
>> you send the fixes you applied?
>>
>> If you did, fine. :-)
>>
> There's no need. There's nothing wrong with Gambas code.
> It's just that
> FreeBSD is developed in it's very own way, and the only struggle is in
> getting all the essential packages with correct versions. I don't ever
> have to patch the source when I solve the compilation problems.

So, if I understood well, the current Gambas source code compiles
without any change on FreeBSD? Then what compilation problems did you have?

> It's
> just that FreeBSD is not Linux, and we've established long time ago that
> you are not particularly interested in supporting something that is not
> Linux,

It's not actually true: look at the system detection in 'acinclude.m4'.

As soon as it's Unix-like, I always accept patches to make it compile on
a new system.

It's Windows that I avoid as much as possible since I developed on it
long time ago. Thanks God, I didn't boot a Windows system since Windows XP.

> so why would I waste your time, I myself truly know the value of
> that damn substance.
> Here's how it works in a FreeBSD world: if you are
> interested in a software running under FreeBSD, you become a port
> maintainer. Port maintainer is someone who day after day compiles source
> code against all current kernel and world versions and creates a FreeBSD
> Port which is a set of links, sripts and patches needed to automatically
> download source code, patch it the way it will compile under the
> specific system release and compile it. If you succeed, the automatic
> packages build cluster would compile the port and create a package for a
> binary repository. The port is being recompiled by the cluster every
> time any dependency is changed. Which happens, like, every day. We even
> used to have a port maintainer for Gambas, but those were Gambas2 times.
> Looong time ago. The guy just gave up because of how much time it
> consumes to check and correct the patches when some library is getting a
> new version or something. Popular software has dozens of port
> maintainers, but old conservative UNIX community is not that interested
> in some modern and not-so-popular programming languages, so there's just
> no way i would be able to type 'pkg install gambas3' in my freshly
> installed FreeBSD and have it up and running any time soon. It would be
> stupid of me to try be a port maintainer for Gambas or more so to ask
> someone to become one. It's just not the right time I guess. So why
> would anyone bother you with sending their fixes.
>
> For comparison we, the Elbrus community, were very ready to have Gambas
> in our repository and I didn't hesitate to ask you to make those changes
> to the source. It was worth it. It will work forever, metaphorically
> speaking. But in case of FreeBSD, it's just too much to ask for now.
>
> Dmitry.

Benoît Minisini.