[Gambas-user] Happy new year 2024!

Admin admin at allunix.ru
Fri Jan 5 13:16:33 CET 2024

05.01.2024 18:46, Benoît Minisini пишет:
> Le 05/01/2024 à 05:19, Admin a écrit :
>> The only problem left is that with every new FreeBSD router installed
>> I have to compile Gambas on it and pray every time that it succeeds.
>> Frequently It does not, so I "dance with a ritual drum" to make it
>> bloody work, but when I finally compile the damn thing, no more work
>> for me, the other guys will take it from here. Imagine if Gambas was
>> just a binary package in a FreeBSD repository. I would save probably
>> a week of personal time annually.
>>

> Did you report when you had a problem when compiling with FreeBSD? Did
> you send the fixes you applied?
>
> If you did, fine. :-)

There's no need. There's nothing wrong with Gambas code. It's just that
FreeBSD is developed in it's very own way, and the only struggle is in
getting all the essential packages with correct versions. I don't ever
have to patch the source when I solve the compilation problems. It's
just that FreeBSD is not Linux, and we've established long time ago that
you are not particularly interested in supporting something that is not
Linux, so why would I waste your time, I myself truly know the value of
that damn substance. Here's how it works in a FreeBSD world: if you are
interested in a software running under FreeBSD, you become a port
maintainer. Port maintainer is someone who day after day compiles source
code against all current kernel and world versions and creates a FreeBSD
Port which is a set of links, sripts and patches needed to automatically
download source code, patch it the way it will compile under the
specific system release and compile it. If you succeed, the automatic
packages build cluster would compile the port and create a package for a
binary repository. The port is being recompiled by the cluster every
time any dependency is changed. Which happens, like, every day. We even
used to have a port maintainer for Gambas, but those were Gambas2 times.
Looong time ago. The guy just gave up because of how much time it
consumes to check and correct the patches when some library is getting a
new version or something. Popular software has dozens of port
maintainers, but old conservative UNIX community is not that interested
in some modern and not-so-popular programming languages, so there's just
no way i would be able to type 'pkg install gambas3' in my freshly
installed FreeBSD and have it up and running any time soon. It would be
stupid of me to try be a port maintainer for Gambas or more so to ask
someone to become one. It's just not the right time I guess. So why
would anyone bother you with sending their fixes.

For comparison we, the Elbrus community, were very ready to have Gambas
in our repository and I didn't hesitate to ask you to make those changes
to the source. It was worth it. It will work forever, metaphorically
speaking. But in case of FreeBSD, it's just too much to ask for now.

Dmitry.