[Gambas-user] Get the default file manager

BB adamnt42 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 16:10:12 CET 2024

On 18/2/24 11:36 pm, Bruce Steers wrote:
> Well maybe not the linux core but surely most desktop environments
> have to have it configured somehow?

No, not really.  Some, like lxde for instance, use a "file manager" as
the "desktop", but I think you guys are looking for some mythical app
launching beast that also has a gui that displays the files in a certain
directory.

Distros, not desktops, usually provide one of those beasts automatically
and that is thought to be the "default" when all it is is the
"automatically provided" desktop file manager gui application. I too run
xfce4 as the desktop, but my file manager is nemo, not thunar. In fact I
removed thunar from the local machine (just because I dislike it
personally).

It's like the notion that the $EDITOR in the env is the "default" text
editor. It is so only if scripts, mime handlers and etc use that env
setting.

As to the idea that the DE has it configured somehow is another
misconception. I looked through my entire system to see if I could find
some mention of nemo in a config file anywhere. No result apart from a
desktop launcher (Home) that runs it expressly. However, one thing does
bemuse me. The dbus org.freedesktop.FileManager1 knows that nemo is my
file manager somehow, even if I have not run it in the current session.
If however, I log in using a LXDE desktop, then pcmanfm becomes the
automatically used file manager gui. So it's not a user preference set
somewhere that I can locate. ?