[Gambas-user] Docker image Gambas issue

Benoît Minisini benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org
Thu Feb 15 07:29:16 CET 2024

Le 15/02/2024 à 01:07, Linus via User a écrit :
> I agree with you regarding the fact the embedded Gambas web server is
> not made for production but unfortunately the fact to replace it, as
> solution, by a CGI is not good I think.
>
> When you use CGI gambas script, as I already tried in the past, but
> you need to deal with HTML, javascript some time, depending what you
> need. The magie of gb.web.gui is the fact you can develop an Web
> application almost you develop a desktop application. Of course it’s
> not so simple said like that but it is way far more confortable than
> just a CGI script. Moreover, a ‘gb.web.gui' Web application add the
> interactive side between the Browser and the web application in back
> end and it’s really magic.
>
> So I was really expecting the opinion of Benoit regarding that
> because for now this component is really under estimated but it is
> really powerful.
>
> Olivier

Projects using 'gb.web.gui' are still CGI scripts, and so need a Web server.

What Christof told you is not to use 'gb.httpd' for production, only for
debugging. So you must put in your Docker a reliable HTTP server
(Apache, Nginx, lighttpd...) in front of your CGI 'gb.web.gui' application.

In the future, some library like 'libmicrohttpd' may allow to add an
embedded http server to 'gb.web.gui' so that a Gambas web application
executable becomes autonomous, not needing a full Web server to work.

Benoît Minisini.