[Gambas-user] Initial support for making AppImage

Benoît Minisini benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org
Tue Sep 5 23:53:40 CEST 2023

Le 05/09/2023 à 22:50, Bruce Steers a écrit :

> On Tue, 5 Sep 2023, 19:30 Linus via User, <user at lists.gambas-basic.org
> <mailto:user at lists.gambas-basic.org>> wrote:
>
>     Unfortunately it fail do to ‘/etc/lsb-release’ file does not exist
>     on Fedora, even I installed ‘redhat-lsb’ package. This one does not
>     provide /etc/lsb-release’ file.
>
>     On Internet, they mention to use ‘/etc/os-release’ that seems to be
>     present on most distributions
>
>     Olivier
>

> I always check for both and also check for /etc/upstream-release/ folder
> for the same if I want to know the base version. Ie. LinuxMint holds its
> Ubuntu info there and many other upstream distros use that path too.
>
> lsb-release and os-release files have different key names to watch out for.
>
> Respects
> BruceS

I don't need to know the system version, I need to choose an Ubuntu
version for the local 'apt' used by the AppImageBuilder tool to build
the AppImage. It does that by installing Ubuntu packages inside the
AppImage build directory.

Whatever AppImageBuilder supports, I need Ubuntu because the Gambas
binary packages come from the Gambas Ubuntu PPA.

If I could use the binary packages for any distrubtion, I think I could
use Debian, ArchLinux... inside AppImageBuilder. But they are often
known to not working properly.

So, at the moment, Ubuntu is required to build an AppImage.

For other systems, I need to know what packages source I can put inside
the AppImageBuilder configuration file.

For Debian, it's easy (but you will be sticked to older Gambas versions,
which may be a problem for your application).

For ArchLinux, I don't know what to put exactly in that configuration
file. I will continue to read the documentation.

For RPM-based distributions, I don't think they are supported, as it
isn't stated in the AppImageBuilder documentation. But I may be wrong.

Benoît Minisini.