[Gambas-user] Gambas3 and Cross-Compiler

Admin admin at allunix.ru
Mon Oct 2 14:00:38 CEST 2023

Man, I have a department at work, dedicated to make our Gambas-powered
software run on Windows. That's how of a pain it is. That's how ancient
the problem is. I'm no Benoit, I can't explain why exactly this is
impossible, as he says it is, but if he says, then I believe.

For now, thank Microsoft for that (did I just really said that?), WSL2
provides almost painless way of running gambas software on Windows
10/11. You literally do it with a mouse. Just click on Microsoft Store,
then click to install Store version of WSL (it's important. The one
that's in Windows Components is VERY outdated and basically does not
work at all) than click to install Debian or Ubuntu, and there you go,
you can just type "bash" in start menu or in cmd, and you are in Linux.
sudo apt update && sudo apt install gambas3 - and your Windows now has
Gambas. Since some time ago WSL does not require an X11 server to run
GUI software, it already has Wayland, so you just run a gambas qt5 or
gtk3 program compiled in Linux - and it just works, just shows up and
runs as it does in Linux.

It used to have problems with DISPLAY environment, it does not anymore.
It used to have a problem with keyboard layout switching, it does not
anymore. It had problems with DPI window scaling, it almost does not
anymore. It used to require a lot of PowerShell work to make Gambas
software work in Windows, it does not anymore. With this simplicity
achieved by Microsoft with WSL through this years, personally I think we
don't have to ask Benoit to make Windows-version of Gambas again. It
would certainly be very nice, but now it's not a requirement, there is a
way.

Debian or Ubuntu can now easily be a part on Windows, very seamlessly. I
suggest you go that way.

Dmitry.