[Gambas-user] About Gambas 3 IDE...

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 23:42:59 CET 2023

On Sat, 11 Nov 2023 at 10:14, Bruce Steers <bsteers4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Nov 2023, 07:58 Fabien TONIUTTI, <fabien.toniutti at free.fr>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello every one,
>>
>> Gambas IDE became better and better with years and years and has now a
>> lot of options, tips, etc...
>>
>> But as a simple user, here you find list of options i don't or never use :
>>

> Snip
>
> Let's stop you right there.
> Simple user you say.
> Many of us are not and use different menu items for various reasons.
>
> I would suggest right clicking the buttons and select configure so you can
> remove what you do not ever use.
>
> As for the menus.  If you were more advanced a coder you could load the
> gambas3 source files into the ide and hide all the menus you don't want to
> see and re-compile 😎
>
> I could say...
> I went to the shop for bread the other day. I only ever buy bread in that
> shop that many people use. I should complain about all those other products
> they have because I don't want them.  🤔😂
>
> But of course I wouldn't ever say that.
>
> One of the fantastic things about the gambas IDE is it is written in
> gambas so you can load it into the gambas IDE and modify it. If you desire.
>
> If you go to my fork on gitlab you find a gambas IDE with even more
> features and menus than Benoit's 😎
> Read about some of the mods here
> https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambas/-/blob/bruces-patched/README.md
>
>  I'm sure you'll hate it 😂
>
> Perhaps you could make your own fork and create your own "gambas lite"
> version 😊

I'll show you how easy it is...
I have just made a crude menu hider to the IDE
Like this..
https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambas/-/tree/menu-hide?ref_type=heads
https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambas/-/commit/b67e0b20c86156582600e3d7b81870407ae58702
The "Edit" menu seems unavailable but most all other menu items show in the
list , just hit the "Hidden" checkbox and that menu hides :)
Hidden items are stored in Settings["/HideMenus"]

That was my fun game for today ;)
BruceS