[Gambas-user] Test Screen.Available values

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Thu May 18 00:24:37 CEST 2023

On Wed, 17 May 2023, 17:27 Benoit Minisini, <
benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org> wrote:

> Le 17/05/2023 à 12:07, Bruce Steers a écrit :
> >
> > Yes.
> > I use compiz and it only defines one desktop.
> > Gambas does not support this method at all Desktop.Count only ever shows
> > 1 even though I have 6. I submitted a merge request to add virtual
> > desktop method too many moons ago but got no interest. >
>
> Sorry for that. It's because of Wayland: we cannot rely on an X11-only
> specific thing.

But it was changes to GB.X11 🤔😉

> I'm currently working on 'gb.desktop' so that things start to work (more
> or less) both on X11 and wayland.

Xwayland seems to be the way to go for me.
On Wayland now all my gambas apps say they are just using x11 toolkits.

> I think we should only use Screens.Count, because it should actually
> return the number of desktops you expect, and ignore Desktop.Count
> completely as it cannot be implemented on Wayland.

But a Screen is totally different to a Desktop  in gambas is my
understanding.

A screen and screen.count show how many physical monitors/displays are
attached and it's overall size is a combination them.

Desktop.count is the virtual workspaces you can switch to, a multiple of
the Screens.
That is what gambas does not support with compiz's virtual root method I
spoke of.

Respects
BruceS