[Gambas-user] Gambas 3.15.2: checbox dos not accept background color

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 17:36:05 CEST 2023

On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 at 16:18, <roberto.premoli at tiscali.it> wrote:

> Il 29.03.2023 16:19 Bruce Steers ha scritto:
>
> > How about putting CheckBox in an auto-resized Panel and changing the
> > background of the panel? that could work.
> > Surely if you upgrade gambas and have working colours then you have
> > not
> > broken your deb11 you have fixed it?  :)
>
> nice suggestion, i tried ad this is the code:
>
> Public Sub CheckBox1_Click()
>    CheckBox1.text = "test"
>    Panel.Background = 255
> End
>
> i set by IDE a cyan background of the panel then run the code with f5.
> i click check box and interpreter stop with error:
>
> "panel.background is not static in fmain"
> strange feedback.
>
> I report you because you was so kind to suggest this and it deserve a
> reply.
> anyway, i already solved canging foreground color of checkbox instead
> of background.

Well no,  Panel is the class name not the name of the object the checkbox
is in , that will probably be Panel1 or Panel2 or somethijng.

> 3.15 is old, debian is slow to update it's gambas version as unlike
> > other
> > systems debian has a very long LTS turnover.
> > Debian 10 only had 3.12 in it's repository while the rest of us were
> > using 3.15.
> > It's annoying because other software updates all the time. Firefox
> > usually at least once a week. but Gambas , nope, the same version
> > sits
> > there for way too long and becomes an issue for those developing
> > programs
> > on newer gambas as debian users who refuse to update get a few
> > versions
> > behind (a few more versions than everyone else)
> > I wouldn't restrict yourself , there has been tons of updates/fixes
> > since
> > 3.15
>
> i am a debianist since 2001, i know pro and cons of the distro: because
> consider bigger the pro than the cons, i stay on it.
> btw, it is real that gmabas is not updated, but this beaviour is not
> for web
> browsers that are are often updated, i am writing you using chromium at
> Version
> 111.0.5563.110 (Official Build) built on Debian 11.6, running on Debian
> 11.6 (64-bit)
> firefox run version 102.9.0.

Yeah , why don't they update gambas?
grrr

> > Or if i cannot convince you then know you are 3 versions behind the
> > current development version so bug reports are pretty much a waste of
> > everyone's time as the chances of them being fixed are pretty high.
>
> i reported just in case, take it as "excess of zeal".

Yes of course, I just thought to mention as you could find yourself
reporting many already fixed bugs.
It was a noble thought for sure :)

> > Perhaps a VM or a disk partition could have a debian11 with latest
> > gambas
> > on it.
> > then you could tell if a bug in 3.15 is fixed in 3.18+
>
> i am developing a program that will run "stand alone", not connected to
> internet.
> so to choose a "stable -almost- as a rock" debian it appear a good way,
> even if i have to face some minor annoing as the topic of this thread.

there's always a workaround :)
pretty sure placing checkbox into a container and changing the container
color will have the desired effect.
(just be sure to use the correct name of the panel/hbox/etc ;) )

> Also...
> > have you tried changing the theme or using a different toolkiit?
> > Sometimes the bug is in the gtk theme not in gambas.
> > Preferences / Look and feel / Appearance for GTK
> > or install qt5ct to configure QT.
> > Maybe the bug is not there if your application uses QT not GTK?
> >
> > BruceS
>
> for the report, project->property->components is cheched gb.wt5, no
> gb.gtk3

okay so do you get the same problem if you make it use gb.gtk3 ?

Best of luck.
BruceS