[Gambas-user] Gambas 3.15.2: checbox dos not accept background color

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 16:19:46 CEST 2023

On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 at 14:49, <roberto.premoli at tiscali.it> wrote:

> Il 28.03.2023 14:34 Bruce Steers ha scritto:

> >> 3.15 , wow such a distant memory ;)
> >> Upgrade to stable or master versions.
> >> here's a few simple scripts/programs to help update...
> >> https://gambaswiki.org/wiki/installtools [2]
> >> or do it manually by copy/paste the commands shown here...
> >> http://138.68.116.47/cgi-bin/WebGambasUpgrade.gambas [3]
> >> There really is no point in reporting bugs on old versions. (even if
> >> "just to check its fixed in latest)
> >> Just update gambas then see for yourself if the bug still exists :)
> >
> > By the way , i do not get the bug on 3.18
> > (did you try CheckBox1.Refresh after changing bg ?
> > BruceS
>
> Hello,
>
> Thank for your mail and time you dedicated to me.
> because i don't want to "break" the version of debian 11, i cannot move
> to newer version of gambas.
> I tried to do checkbox.refresh but it did not work. In my case, I use
> color to communicate feedback from program to user: green=good, red=bad.
> Not so important what I use, so I "solved" changing color changing
> foreground and not background.

You're welcome :)

How about putting CheckBox in an auto-resized Panel and changing the
background of the panel? that could work.

Surely if you upgrade gambas and have working colours then you have not
broken your deb11 you have fixed it?
:)
3.15 is old, debian is slow to update it's gambas version as unlike other
systems debian has a very long LTS turnover.

Debian 10 only had 3.12 in it's repository while the rest of us were using
3.15.
It's annoying because other software updates all the time. Firefox usually
at least once a week. but Gambas , nope, the same version sits there for
way too long and becomes an issue for those developing programs on newer
gambas as debian users who refuse to update get a few versions behind (a
few more versions than everyone else)

I wouldn't restrict yourself , there has been tons of updates/fixes since
3.15

Or if i cannot convince you then know you are 3 versions behind the current
development version so bug reports are pretty much a waste of everyone's
time as the chances of them being fixed are pretty high.
Perhaps a VM or a disk partition could have a debian11 with latest gambas
on it.
then you could tell if a bug in 3.15 is fixed in 3.18+

Also...
have you tried changing the theme or using a different toolkiit?
Sometimes the bug is in the gtk theme not in gambas.

Preferences / Look and feel / Appearance for GTK
or install qt5ct to configure QT.

Maybe the bug is not there if your application uses QT not GTK?

BruceS