[Gambas-user] DataView Help

Gianluigi gradobag at gradobag.it
Thu Jul 13 14:46:36 CEST 2023

Il 13/07/23 13:44, Christof Thalhofer ha scritto:
> Dear Gian,
>
> Am 13.07.23 um 13:10 schrieb Gianluigi:

>> I forgot, I'd really like to know where you saw an example of my
>> database with tables without primary keys, I have no idea how you
>> could figure that out...
>
> I didn't say that. I wanted to show an example of possible errors in
> the creation of a database schema, which an inexperienced user can
> make. You can build a Gambas application on top of that but sooner or
> later you will get crippled data.
>
> Btw, I think this is a bit off-topic now. For others ... this adresses
> a private discussion, Gian and I had about the importance of
> referential integrity in RDBMS together with Gambas applications on
> top of it. In this context it may be of general interest after all,
> which is why I am answering here.
>
> And Gian, AFAIK the only mail from you that I didn't answer was the
> one, in which you told me that you "think the opposite". Ok, I can
> tell things based on experience, but if you answer me that you think
> the opposite, I'm done. If that's what you'd like, think the opposite,
> I won't try to convince you further.
>
> And don't worry, I'm not offended. :-)
>
> Alles Gute
>
> Christof Thalhofer

Hi Christof,

maybe I misspoke, but I really don't think I said that about databases I
think the opposite of you.
How could I, since I don't know what you think but I know you've worked
on it.
The translator may have contributed.
On foreign keys I know I said that there are professional databases that
don't use them, in a discussion on our Italian forum (where I argued for
their usefulness) some came up with even examples and explanations and I
just mentioned it without elaborating (I couldn't).
I may have said that on the DB component use of gb.db I think
differently from you that you do not apreciate it.
I repeat I have never worked on professional databases, all I know are
small self-produced tests and having put back into operation the Access
database of a metal company my client (I used to sell him stationery).
However, we are talking about twenty years ago.

I agree with you that this is off-topic so I would say close it here or,
if the topic interests someone, open another post.

Regards

Gianluigi