[Gambas-user] Curious about --disable-qtwebkit

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 18:02:51 CEST 2023

On Fri, 7 Jul 2023, 00:27 gbWilly via User, <user at lists.gambas-basic.org>
wrote:

> > Le 07/07/2023 à 00:16, gbWilly via User a écrit :
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > The .gitlab-ci.yml file on master does this for debian oldstable,
> stable
> > > and testing:
> > >
> |GAMBAS_CONFIG_FAILURE=1./configure-C--disable-keyring--disable-sqlite2--disable-qt4--disable-qtwebkit|
> > > |

> > > I get all the disables exept for the --disable-qtwebkit
> > > Do these Debian versions not meet the dependencies to support it?
> > >
> > > For debian unstable it seems no problem:
> > >
> |GAMBAS_CONFIG_FAILURE=1./configure-C--disable-keyring--disable-qt4--disable-sqlite2|
> > > |

> > > Just curious behind the why.
> > >
> > > gbWilly
> > >
> > > Sent with Proton Mail https://proton.me/ secure email.
> > >
> > > ----[ http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/doc/netiquette ]----
> >

> > I don't know, I don't use Debian. If you confirm that it works with
> > these versions of Debian, I can remove the flag.
>
> This is the rules file for current  stable version 3.18.0 on debian stable
> repository (bookworm)(
> https://tracker.debian.org/media/packages/g/gambas3/rules-3.18.0-4)
> And thus this is what they do that seems to work as I do have a qt5-webkit
> component on old stable (bullseye -> gambas 3.15.2)
>
> > But I think the problem is in using implicit Debian versions instead of
> > explicit ones, as the flags depends on a specific version, not on if
> > it's the current oldstable, stable...
>
> I agree very much good sir.
> You can name them by their real name, it would be better (and also works
> better for repository management in my opinion. It would make packaging a
> lot easier, to figure out.
>
> And just like on Ubuntu it should be possible to package for older
> versions of Debian as well, still running qt4 for example.
>
> Using them by their real name makes the recipe easier as you know what can
> and can't be done on the different Debian versions dependency wise, and so
> makes automation of the process easier as well.

He's right I reckon.

I just tried changing all Debian images to their explicit names (except sid)
Also removed WebKit disable on them all and all that was needed was
unstable needed ncurses6-dev changed to ncurses-dev.

They all compiled all components without error.
https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambas/-/tree/deb-named

Maybe Debian buster should also be added?

Respects
BruceS