[Gambas-user] wayland and screen

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 14:25:25 CET 2023

On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 at 11:13, Rolf-Werner Eilert <rwe-sse at osnanet.de> wrote:

> Am 31.01.23 um 03:12 schrieb Admin:
> >  > graphics system not designed for network use
> >
> > That I don't understand at all. It is simply canceling UNIX for me. Main

> Sounds terrifying. I haven't been into this for quite some time, working
> happily with Ubuntu 18 and 20. Now for 22, Wayland is the standard I
> heared.
>
> But I will be able to choose X over Wayland if I prefer, will I?
>
> Because I do not feel like having all this trouble with my Gambas and
> other apps on my computers.
>
> Regards
> Rolf

I should think X will still be around for many many years.

Gotta love the diehards :)
That's why we have MATE desktop and gnome-session-fallback , because it all
changed from Gnome2 to be not the same and many people didn't like it and
wanted it as it was in Gnome2, thus MATE desktop was born.  (and
gnome-session-fallback)

What annoys me about Wayland is that it is not true to itself.
They say it does not permit moving top level windows but I found (after
writing in the wiki that wayland cannot move windows) that it in fact can !!

I found using gtk2 or qt on wayland worked as expected, only gtk3 with
wayland does not allow window moving.

I found with gtk3 your forms Form_Move() event does not get triggered on
moving but in gtk2 and qt it does.

I found reading Window.X and Window.Y in qt and gtk2 gave the correct
position but gtk3 always said my window was X=45, Y=45 regardless of there
it was.

I concluded,, Wayland and gtk3 sucks, go back to X ;)

Respects
BruceS