[Gambas-user] Understanding the translation process

Martin mbelmonte at belmotek.net
Mon Jan 30 15:44:54 CET 2023

El 30/1/23 a las 15:17, Benoit Minisini escribió:
> Yes, but I suggest that you don't rely on undocumented syntaxes or
> configurations that may change at any moment, whatever you want to achieve.

Is DoNotTranslate an undocumented syntax?

What exactly do you mean by configurations that may change at any moment?

What I wanto to achive is translate as "automatically" as possible the
Gambas projects, including the IDE, in principle into Spanish.
To do this:

1) I take what is inside the *.pot* file as a base of what needs to be
translated (now minus the classes with the DoNotTranslate mark).

2) I put the translated phrases for each phrase of the original language
if they are in the local translation database or if the file es.po
exists, for example.

3) I save the new *es.po* file and create a copy of the existing one (if
it exists).

4) I re-read all the translations of all the projects in my Gambas
project directory to add the new sentences to the database if there are any.

In this way I get files of the style en-es.json where the translations
of all the programmes are stored in all the available languages, which
allows me to check, for example with Writer, for spelling mistakes,
grammatical errors etc.

Martin