[Gambas-user] Gambas on Alpine

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 04:36:43 CET 2023

On Wed, 6 Dec 2023 at 03:10, T Lee Davidson <t.lee.davidson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 12/5/23 01:03, james at lixce.com wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > Has anyone actually gotten Gambas3 to run on Alpine Linux?
> >
> > It installed without error using the information on the Wiki but I get a
> segfualt when trying to start any Gambas3 program.
> >
> > /usr/bin/gambas3.gambas is 6.1MB
> >
> > I'm not enamored with Alpine, just looking for a very light distribution
> to run my Gambas based Desktop on.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -j
>
> I can see why you may not like it. I installed it in a VM just to see if I
> could produce the same or different results as you.
> Thinking it would be a good idea to compile as a normal user, I tried to
> add one with `useradd`. Nope, no such utility; the
> system uses Busybox, uggh. That's as far as I got.
>
> Have you considered or tried more popular lightweight distros such as
> antiX or Puppy linux?
>
> Puppy wouldn't install properly. But, at least these two use the standard
> GNU core utils and don't Busy-box you in (heh, see
> what I did there).

I have also been trying.
try
setup-user

I found this page quite helpful...
https://linuxiac.com/how-to-install-alpine-linux/#_Start_the_Alpine_Linux_Installation

I had problems with latest alpine 3.18.5 with MATE, segfault trying to run
gambas3
./configure put out a lot of warnings when compiling

looks like qt5 webkit dissapeared with V3.15 so i am trying V3.14 that has
webkit

Respects
BruceS