[Gambas-user] How to use a different language than the desktop

Benoît Minisini benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org
Mon Aug 28 12:56:16 CEST 2023

Le 28/08/2023 à 12:49, Martín a écrit :
> El 28/8/23 a las 09:47, Gianluigi escribió:
>> can this project help?
>
> Yes, the program help.
>
> I see the line:
>
> System.Language = "zz_ZZ"
>
> Where if I chamge "zz_ZZ" by "fr_FR" or "es_ES" it works but only if The
> form is .Close and then .Show
>
> ¿It is possible apply without .Close the form?

No.

> ¿Which is the mechanism that chose the language to show in the gambas
> running program?

It's explained in the wiki page I mentioned in my other answer.

> ¿it is possible avoid the Linux locale scenario using the .po files only?

No. Gambas relies on the glibc localisation system.

> If the gambas program has fr.po but in the Linux system the package
> fr_FR is not installed it also doesn't work right?

Yes, because the glibc requires the language package to be installed so
that the corresponding '*.po' files can be used.

Anyway, if you need to display messages in a specific language, it's
logical to need the system language support package, because you usually
deals with numbers and dates in the same language.

Benoît Minisini.