[Gambas-user] _free not called when object destroyed

Demosthenes Koptsis demosthenesk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 21:22:47 CEST 2023

For example, suppose you have a class Fruit.class and Main.module of a
command line project

------- Fruit.class ------------

' Gambas class file

Public Name As String

Static Public Sub _init()
   Print "Fruit is created, i am in _init"
End

Public Sub _free()
   Print "Fruit is freed, i am in _free"
End

---------- Main.module --------------------

' Gambas module file

Public Sub Main()

   'call CreateFruit
   Print "I am in Main"
   CreateFruit()
   Print "I am back in Main after CreateFruit"

End

Public Sub CreateFruit()
    Dim oApple As New Fruit
    oApple.Name = "Apple"
    Print "I am in CreateFruit, oApple Name is: " & oApple.Name

    Print "I am in CreateFruit, before Apple=Null"
    oApple = Null
    Print "I am in CreateFruit, after oApple=Null"
End
---------------------------------------

You can create a Fruit object in a CreateFruit sub but when the code
goes out of scope of CreateFruit Sub the object is destroyed or if you
set its reference variable to NULL as it shows in Console

I am in Main
Fruit is created, i am in _init
I am in CreateFruit, oApple Name is: Apple
I am in CreateFruit, before Apple=Null
*Fruit is freed, i am in _free**
*I am in CreateFruit, after oApple=Null
I am back in Main after CreateFruit

if you set oApple = Null the object is freed