[Gambas-user] _free not called when object destroyed

Brian G brian at westwoodsvcs.com
Wed Aug 2 18:32:56 CEST 2023

I have a question regarding when an object is destroyed and _free is called.

in my code when I do the following then the object free method is called

dim a as myobject = new myobject

a = new myobject     ' when I do this then the old object _free method
is called

But if I

a = NULL                  ' The _free method is never called for the
object or for any object in an array of objects

Maybe I don't understand correctly how this works, but I would expect
the objects _free method to be called if there is no other reference.