[Gambas-user] CLASS inherits from CLASS causes OUT OF BOUNDS (#22)

BB adamnt42 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 09:59:13 CEST 2023

Inine!

On 18/4/23 5:08 pm, Mayost Sharon wrote:
> [...]

A class is a blueprint for an object. "Pet" is an object built say, from
the Dog class. You can't reference a Cat from a Dog. "Pet".name here is
"Fido" you reference Pet.Name, not Pet.Dog.Name!

Try thinking like this. A blueprint for YourHouse is used by a builder
to construct your house. If you want to go to the kitchen you go to
YourHouse.Kitchen not YourHouse.blueprint.Kitchen - if you try that you
will be standing on a piece of paper. Get the drift?

> And through a Cat class want to change a variable that is in ANIMAL

When the Pet object is the cat,  the Main routine sets properties in the
Animal class e.g. Pet.Name="Tiddles". There is no need to access
Pet.animal.Name because Pet(Cat) _is_ an animal!

However, if you want to set an animal property inside a cat object then
it can be done by using the Me construct. Again read
https://gambaswiki.org/wiki/doc/object-model this until your eyes bleed,
especially 3.1