[Gambas-user] wayland on the wiki

Benoit Minisini benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org
Sat Oct 22 00:44:21 CEST 2022

Le 21/10/2022 à 18:11, Bruce Steers a écrit :
> I added a little info on the wiki to the FAQ about wayland.
> http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/doc/faq#t13
> <http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/doc/faq#t13>
>
> The text is "to the best of my knowledge"
>
> Possibly it needs more, possibly it's not welcome in the FAQ section,
> possibly it's fine and it will do.
>
> Please edit accordingly.
> Respects
> BruceS
>
> the info does not read..
> Wayland is a overrated piece of s**t do not use it!
> ;)
>
> The info reads...
>

>       Will Gambas work on Wayland systems?
>
> Yes, but Wayland lacks many features that a gambas GUI application may
> or may not rely on.
>
> Non-GUI applications should work as expected.
>
> GUI applications not written with wayland in mind may lack some
> functionality or possibly not open as expected do to restraints in
> things like window placement.
> Ie. unlike x11 systems wayland is in control of where the window opens
> not the application so a program that should open it's window at
> specific position will not on wayland. Applications that rely on their
> own window placement will not work as they should on wayland.
>
> There are other minor issues too.
> In short, making a wayland compliant application will mostly involve
> using less of the commonly used gui toolkit features. If you are
> developing the project on a wayland system it should be clear that some
> things (especially window positioning) will not work as would on an x11
> system. These are not bugs, this is just how wayland works.

To be exact, both X11 and Wayland window managers decide where windows
are in last resort.

In the X11 procotol, you can specify an initial window position, and
move / resize any window, and the window manager may obey, or may not.

With wayland, it is specified that the window manager must not allow the
client to move a window or specify an initial position. There is no
protocol for that.

Benoît Minisini.