[Gambas-user] wayland on the wiki

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 18:11:48 CEST 2022

I added a little info on the wiki to the FAQ about wayland.
http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/doc/faq#t13

The text is "to the best of my knowledge"

Possibly it needs more, possibly it's not welcome in the FAQ section,
possibly it's fine and it will do.

Please edit accordingly.
Respects
BruceS

the info does not read..
Wayland is a overrated piece of s**t do not use it!
;)

The info reads...
Will Gambas work on Wayland systems?

Yes, but Wayland lacks many features that a gambas GUI application may or
may not rely on.

Non-GUI applications should work as expected.

GUI applications not written with wayland in mind may lack some
functionality or possibly not open as expected do to restraints in things
like window placement.
Ie. unlike x11 systems wayland is in control of where the window opens not
the application so a program that should open it's window at specific
position will not on wayland. Applications that rely on their own window
placement will not work as they should on wayland.

There are other minor issues too.
In short, making a wayland compliant application will mostly involve using
less of the commonly used gui toolkit features. If you are developing the
project on a wayland system it should be clear that some things (especially
window positioning) will not work as would on an x11 system. These are not
bugs, this is just how wayland works.