[Gambas-user] only using bytecode 3.18 works for me now

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 09:53:55 CEST 2022

On Tue, 4 Oct 2022 at 08:33, Benoit Minisini <
benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org> wrote:

> Le 04/10/2022 à 08:35, Christof Thalhofer a écrit :

> >> Do not talk too fast, new optimizations just arrived! :-)
> >
> > Poor BruceS ;-)
> >
> > Joking aside, I see that there's a webpage in the wiki that documents
> > how to handle problems with bytecode changes, here:
> >
> > https://gambaswiki.org/wiki/doc/compat
> >
> > But is there any documentation what versions exist and how they differ?
> >
> > Alles Gute
> >
> > Christof Thalhofer
> >

> No, I was too lazy to write it. The different bytecode versions are
> listed in the combo-box of the "force bytecode version" project option
> dialog.
>
> And again : the interpreter must be backward-compatible, i.e. it must be
> able to run any older bytecode version.
>
> Another remind: The "force bytecode version" is an option for the
> compiler, not the interpreter. It forces the compiler not to emit
> opcodes for new bytecode versions, but it's not fully reliable, ad
> explained in the tooltip.

Oh sorry , that version info lol..
Yeah seems to be 3.8, 3.15 & 3.18 only.

I've mostly only wanted to go back as far as 3.12 for compatibility (old
debian default) and found I had to set it to 3.8 to get it to work as
setting GB_PCODE_VERSION to 3.12 didn't work. So my progs are 3.12
compatible not 3.8 but meh , it's cool :)

And yesterday , everything seemed to stop working yesterday till Ben fixed
the glitch.
:)
Respects
BruceS