[Gambas-user] Unnecessary duplication?

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 21:49:24 CEST 2022

On Mon, 27 Jun 2022 at 20:42, Martin <mbelmonte at belmotek.net> wrote:

> El 26/6/22 a las 22:27, Bruce Steers escribió:
> > Why is it a problem for you?
> > gsl complex is a much more advanced class than gb.complex component not a
> > duplicate
> Hehe, is not a problem, sorry if it sound hard.
> I want to know why is there two clases very similar that aims to do the
> same only this I'm curious, just that.
>
> The origin of my question is because I'm trying to organize the
> available documentation of gambas (in an automatic way) then I found
> many classes with equal name in different components.
>
> If gb.complex and gb.gsl both have the class Complex and then
> gb.complex/Complex has 2 properties and 7 methods which are also all in
> the class gb.gsl/Complex I wonder why the component gb.Complex still
> exists?
> a) For compatibility
> b) If it works, don't touch it
> c) Performance
> d) Other
>
> Best regards.

the gsl docs say it is unfinished and only part of gsl library is
implemented.
probably gb.complex was made before.
Like you say is it works don't touch it. some people may be using
gb.complex , if it's removed they got to re-write their programs.
Benoit tries his best to only make "additions" to gambas and not
"change/remove" things so peoples software continues to work.
It's rare to actually remove anything. many things are depreciated like for
example HSplit and VSplit changed to one single Splitter container but
VSplit and HSplit are not gone and still work for programs using it.

gb.complex has been around since gambas 3.3 (not sure when gb.gsl was made)
so my guess would be for compatibility gb.complex still exists , for
performance gb.complex is less of a component than gb.gsl and gb.complex
would not require gsl libraries so also advantages there.

I guess the Complex name was because gb.complex was based on what gsl
library Complex does,

Like i jokingly said, the answer is rather "complex" lol :)

And for your document thing you're just going to have to work around it.
It is what it is.
You'll probably going to find more things like this,  you can't change it
as others may be using these methods , you're just going to have to work
with what it is already :)

All the best
BruceS