[Gambas-user] Gambas Version swapper (WIP)

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 14:54:03 CEST 2022

On Mon, 30 May 2022 at 18:11, Benoit Minisini <
benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org> wrote:

> Le 30/05/2022 à 18:55, Bruce Steers a écrit :
> >
> > hmm, because i've never really used links so don't really have a clue
> > what to do.
> >
> > do you mean something like simply rename the folders and make things
> > like /usr/lib/gambas3 a link to the folder, and the program just change
> > the links?
>
> Yes. It's what I use to have a permanent updated install of the current
> development version on my system.
>
> > I'll have to investigate this new symbolic link territory..
> >

> Yes, you have to, you must!
>
> Symbolic links are a gift, I can't count the number of problems you can
> simply solve with them.
>
> --
> Benoît Minisini.

I'm not convinced links the best way to go.
my issue is that if i have the gambas folders linked to other locations
then installing an updated version will overwrite the linked files unless
the links are removed first. this overly complicates things I think.

It will work if i add it as a feature of my GambasLatestUpdate app as i can
manage the links when updating, otherwise the user will have to be sure to
unlink before updating. (you just can't trust the "user" to do it right all
the time ;) )

As it stands i'm thinking simply making backup copies and restoring them
could be best, the data from /usr/bin /usr/lib and /usr/share is pretty
small, the only real big item is the $HOME/.local/share/gambas3 folder but
by default that is not backed up/restored.

Unless anyone has a sure fire method?

Respects
BruceS