[Gambas-user] Trying charts - how to do that?

gian bagoneo at libero.it
Fri Dec 9 01:31:57 CET 2022

Il 09/12/22 00:24, Benoit Minisini ha scritto:
> Le 09/12/2022 à 00:01, Christof Thalhofer a écrit :
>> Am 06.12.22 um 19:47 schrieb Dag JNJ:
>>
>>> I've come to a moment when I need diagrams/charts.
>>> I tried to activate the component gb.charts although greyed out in the
>>> components list, and that succeeded.
>>> But I find no chart component in the toolboxes on the right side.
>>> I also tried the example in the German "Gambas-Buch", but it failed to
>>> start with an error-message at the line where the chart was pointed at.
>>> (Sorry have to write this from memory  because my PC broke down and I
>>> have to use an old and really slow laptop).
>>> I tried to use a drawing area with the same name as in the example but
>>> something else must have gone wrong.
>>> Has anyone an idea what I've done wrong?
>>> Thanks in advance ad kind regards,
>>
>> I never tried to create charts with Gambas but instead use Gambas to
>> create source files for Gnuplot and then call Gnuplot by the Gambas
>> 'Shell' command.
>>
>> So Gnuplot creates a SVG file which I can display in a DrawingArea
>> inside a Gambas form afterwards.
>>
>> Gnuplot is incredibly powerful and can create beautiful charts, I
>> attached a simple one as an example.
>>
>> This is one of the things I like most about Gambas: you can use is as
>> a glue to bring together really mighty things of the Linux universum
>> into one program.
>
> +1. It's the way I use it.

Fabien had started to rewrite the gb.chart project to version 2 but then
had to stop.
At this link (*) I attach a sample movie of the new component.
I would be curious to know if you could replicate it with Gnuplot; the
example uses about 20 lines of code (with Fabien's skillful work behind it).

Regards
Gianluigi

(*) https://paste.c-net.org/OneselfPinot