[Gambas-user] what abaut a sabbatical freeze?

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Sun Apr 10 23:00:01 CEST 2022

Am 10.04.22 um 19:16 schrieb roberto.premoli at tiscali.it:

> i am... say, tired of the continue "rolling release" i see
> around.
> "release fast, release often" can be nice fro who like new
> features, but less to whom prefere "stability".
> By the way, i use Debian
> exactly for stability it assure me.
> I see Gambas3 has a fast growing
> rateo, "rolling release", as i said.
> But beside new features, "rolling
> release" also introduce errors, patch, patch-of-the-patch and so on.
> wonder if it is not time to have a "freeze" that means NO new feature
> but only bug fix just for some months, maybe one year.
> Of couse I am not
> here to say to Minisini how he should manage *HIS* creature (i have not
> the right nor the power to do),
> i just ask it it only me to have the
> feeling or also some other people.

Creativity needs a lot of power and power gets rare if one gets older.
Soo ... I like that Benoît now has power for creativity.

In the past years things were introduced that increase the stability of
the development (like Git, the improved bugtracker and testing) both for
the programmers that use Gambas as well as the one(s) that create(s) it.

There also came features that make the programming itself easier and
more convenient like 'Use' for properties for example.

Then features that make Gambas more universal like 'Task' and webforms
and make it more mature like namespaces now.

Yes, the development of Gambas itself leads to bugs because things break
by accident. The tests now find when some basic features break, but they
don't find problems in the GUI. These can only be found by people who
use and work with the IDE.

I myself do not trust a version 3.x.0 for production because as soon as
it is released there are more people who test it and usually they will
find bugs. These will be fixed and Benoît creates further sub-releases.
I myself use the new Gambas version for production a couple of weeks
after the last sub-sub-version is released and I'm fine with it. I don't
have problems with the stability of Gambas. But I don't use every part
of it. For me the development cycle is ok.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--
Dies ist keine Signatur