[Gambas-user] Minimum components for WebForms developing

Benoît Minisini g4mba5 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 17:35:15 CET 2021

Le 28/11/2021 à 16:07, Jesus Guardon a écrit :
> Hi all
>
> I'm digging for the minimum number of components to be installed in a
> headless server to work with WebForms, because I don't need to install
> desktop or GUI tool-kits at all. Only serving webpages using gambas
> programming, mysql, etc.
>
> But the gambas-runtime wants to install x-server, so I'll ask if it's
> strictly necessary.

I will talk about ubuntu packages, because it's the sole distribution I
make packages for.

No, gambas-runtime should no depend on an X11-server, but I see that the
'gambas-runtime' package depends on the 'xdg-utils' package.

According to synaptic, 'xdg-utils' does not depend on anything, but
-recommends- some x11 packages.

Could it be the reason why installing 'gambas-runtime' installs
'x11-server'? Or maybe you are not on Ubuntu, you didn't tell...

> Anyone did a sort of test doing this? Is it enough to install all the
> components but not the graphic ones?
>
> Is there a way to not install any graphical dependency related to a
> graphical desktop which is not going to be used in any way?
>
> The box is an AWS vps (free for a year from now on), no big resources,
> tho, with Ubuntu server 20.04 using stable PPA, just for fun and
> learning WebForms.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Jesus

As a workaround, you can compile and install gambas from sources: the
gambas source configuration process will detect the development packages
installed on your system, and will tell you which gambas components will
not be compiled because of missing dependencies.

That way, you can install -exactly- what you want. This is how I proceed
to install headless virtual servers with Gambas at my job.

But, of course, it's better to search which dependency uselessly
triggers the installation of an x11, and see if we can fix the package.

Benoît Minisini