[Gambas-user] Circular dependencies but not the normal type

bb adamnt42 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 13:57:11 CEST 2021

On Wed, 2021-06-30 at 13:13 +0200, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> Le 30/06/2021 à 11:03, bb a écrit :
> > I have got myself into a real mess here.
> >
> > I have two libraries, they both depend on each other. LibA needs
> > LibB
> > and vice versa.
> >
> > If I could compile one of them then the problem "goes away" and I
> > just
> > end up with compile errors in the other. Fine, my problem.
> >
> > But if neither exists in ~/local/share/gambas3/yadayada.../ I can't
> > compile either of them. :-(
> >
> > Is there a way to compile "ignoring library dependencies"? I dont
> > care
> > that the result is a "bad" executable, just that I can compile one
> > of
> > them and break the circle.
> >
> > tia
> > bruce
> >

> > ----[ http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/doc/netiquette ]----
> >

> How can you make two libraries depends on each other? It's sort of
> non-sense. Why don't you merge the two libraries into one?

Ha, as ususal I cant see the forest for the trees.

They arose out of the dim distant times of yore. LibA was a Martin
Fowler inspired "business object" library from his Object Database
Impedance days. LibB was just a bunch of business domain utilities. In
those days LibA (the business object library) had a dependancy on LibB
for some calculations. Racently LibB (the utility library) got
"expanded" with a new bunch of functions, some of which depend on
accessing a related business object. Hence the circle.

Funny thing is, we have used and changed both of them for about a year
with no problems. It was just now when I am setting up a new software
repository that I hit the problem as neither executable exists.

And as usual you are correct, it is non-sense. I will have to
merge/split the circular functions into a new architecture.

Thanks, I obviously need a few kilo-jolts to the cranial area these
days to get out of a stuck thinking mode or two.)

bruce