[Gambas-user] Migrating to Gambas

John Dovey dovey.john at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 00:10:28 CEST 2021

Thanks for all the advice. All taken in the spirit it was given.
I've migrated one app twice. From VB6 -> VB.Net and from VB6->Gambas. The
simpler migration was VB6->Gambas.
I find the best is to dump code into the new environment, then work through
the errors. Some things don't translate well.. and for those wrapper
functions are, I agree, the best solution.

Once strange one is the ability to split strings[*]. I ended up writing an
"explode" function where I could make the tweaks to how it worked, so that
through the code I replace all the splits with explode, then I modify
explode as needed.. That approach seems to be working quite well.

All the best
John

* Gambas: http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/lang/split
* VBA/VB6: