[Gambas-user] Faster compiler

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 16:50:19 CET 2021

On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 at 16:11, Bruce Steers <bsteers4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Awesome :)
>
> i'm sure it will help with compiling gambas itself as it's huge.
> I guess as it's the compiler it will only speed up the final make install
> command where all the compiling happens but ANY speed up of compiling is a
> plus, I have a number of test systems to manually update gambas on.
>
> Merci bocoup :)

Do you think it is worth adding to the makefile.am files in app comp and
main?
I'm testing it, I've added '-j 4' to my makefiles gbc3 commands.
Is it the sort of thing that would work worse on a single core processor so
best not to provide a default setting?

Here's my results on testing the make install time..
Note. Mime skip = In my make install files i use xdg-mime to test blank
files and see if the filetype is known and skip the mime install if the
gambas files are recognised.
See the commit here:
https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambas/-/commit/40224153abecd46e7782e37002f2e2f0db70abe8

I've tested with and without the mime skip and with and without the -j 4
option added to the makefile.am files in ./app ./comp and ./main

Mime skip only
Time elapsed: 1 Minute 11 Seconds

Mime skip, with -j 4
Time elapsed: 1 Minute 9 Seconds