[Gambas-user] su on non english computers

Bruce adamnt42 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 07:36:00 CET 2021

On 16/1/21 2:34 pm, Bruce Steers wrote:
> Yes i am sure , It works , thanks.  jeesh
> I'd thank you for all you other words but i don't want them. for starters
> my question is about su not sudo.
>
> could you at least tell me if you type in a terminal..
> su -c "echo 'i like to be a smart arse'"
>
> what does su ask ?'
> Does it say
> Password:
> In English or is it written in your language?
>
> that was my question.
> I thought it was a simple question.
>
> Anyone else?
>
> BruceS
>

> On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 at 01:58, Jussi Lahtinen <jussi.lahtinen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Are you sure you can get the password that way? Sounds fishy to me.
>> Anyway, look at sudo arguments  --command-timeout and --validate. I think
>> they may offer a more standard way to do this.
>>

> nope.  ;)

The "Password:" prompt comes from su itself and is not a level 3
implemented or detectable thing. It's like the true virtual terminal
login "Password:" prompt, so I presume it is translated according to the
system locale.
su is a little harder to work with as it is running itself at a higher
than "user" level. If you want the same "power" (cough, ahem) as sudo
then gksu (or the less better new thing, I cant remember its name) or
kdesu. Both from memory give you program level detection and the ability
to complete. Also from memory su will only accept a password from the
keyboard, you (or more correctly I) cannot auto suplly the password.